How Do You Use Scrivener? (And How *Should* You?)

writing and organizing your bookI (Monica) will be the first to admit that I don’t know much about Scrivener, even though I’ve been using it since around 2011. I bought it for two reasons:

#1 – Its organizational tools, specifically for the nifty notecard view you can toggle to with a simple CMD+2. I love dividing my chapters into different documents, I love having various spots for notes, word counts, and other progress tracking, and I love having the records of my outlines, beats, sketches, and first draft right there in the same project as my final copy.

#2 – Because formatting ebooks is a cinch compared to other options. Well, cinch may not quite be the right word — it did take me several published ebooks to tweak and perfect my saved formatting templates for the varied rules on every ebook platform — but now that I have all of that set up, I can compile my books for every platform in less than an hour.

I would never do it any other way.

For a long time, these two reasons seemed like enough.

BUT.

You know how they say that without pain, we stagnate? I have to admit I’ve been sitting pretty with Scrivener for several years now, using it the way we supposedly use our brains — at 10% capacity, leaving 90% of untapped potential on the table.

I asked around, and you know what? I’m not the only author who is cluelessly letting an awesome piece of software mostly collect dust on my hard drive.

Lots of authors are in the same position as me — using this tool to do basic organization and compiling functions, maybe tweaking the views to better reflect their personal workflows — yet not ever exploring how truly powerful their writing software really is.

It’s not like it’s *really* our faults we don’t know what we’re doing — Scrivener is easy enough to use in its most basic mode (the blank white screen where you type), but once you start digging in, there are hundreds of different configurations, settings, and styles you can change. It’s easy to get confused, and I’ve definitely gotten “click-lost” a few times before.

(You know, “click-lost”—you click on something and the screen you were working on disappears, or is blocked by something else, so you close the entire program because you can’t get back and *cross your fingers* that you didn’t just implode your manuscript?)

(Or is that just me?)

First-world mouse navigation problems aside…

Like most indie authors who are in it to win it, I’m determined to get better at my job each and every month. I take going pro very seriously, and I know that even though Scrivener is working for me now, there’s always room for improvement!

That’s why I’m thrilled that Sean and Johnny have decided to do a free, live webinar with Joseph from Learn Scrivener Fast to tap that other 90%. This webinar will cover tons of simple tweaks that authors can make to their Scrivener configuration to improve their workflows and get the most out of the software.

Click here to sign up for How To Use Scrivener To Effortlessly Write, Organize, & Export Your Book Into Various Formats For Printing, Editing, Publishing

The webinar will be Thursday, February 19 at 4p ET and a recording WILL be available.

They will be talking about:

  • How to get up and running with Scrivener quickly
  • Simple Tricks For Organizing & Working With All of Your Writing Using The Binder
  • How To Export Your Book Into Various Formats Including .Mobi, .ePub, .PDF, Doc, & more
  • How To Edit & Save Every Single Version of Your Work (Worry Free)
  • A Few Jaw-Dropping Tips & Tricks To Wow Your Peers With

PLUS you will be sent Joseph Michael’s “Focus & Productivity Secrets For Writers” eBook, PLUS the recording of this event, PLUS a special email offer relating to the Learn Scrivener Fast program.

Date: Thursday, February 19
Time: 1pm PT / 4pm ET

I’m already signed up to attend and I have tons of questions to ask Joseph in the comments.

Hope to see you there too!

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR THE FREE WEBINAR NOW (SPOTS ARE LIMITED)

 

About Monica Leonelle

Monica Leonelle was born in Germany and spent her childhood jet-setting around the world with her American parents. Her travels include most of the United States and Europe, as well as Guam, Japan, South Korea, Australia, and the Philippines.

She started publishing independently in 2009 and has since published over half a million words of fiction spread across four series, Socialpunk, Waters Dark and Deep, Emma + Elsie, and Stars and Shadows. In 2014, she published 8 books and one short story.

She writes about indie publishing at ProseOnFire.com. Her most recent non-fiction book, Write Better, Faster, has earned raving reviews from the independent publishing community for going deeper than anyone else into the topic of writing speed. She currently averages around 3,000 words per hour and writes 25,000+ words per week (most weeks).

Speak Your Mind

*